Can you really learn from a skype demonstration?
It's a great question. From personal experience, I say YES! I have been studying weekly Russian lessons with my teacher in Moscow for over 6 months, and it is wonderful! I am too busy to travel to the city to learn and it doesn't suit my family commitments for me to travel every week late at night for courses, and I get to learn 1:1 live!
I have taught two skype demonstrations to clients in St Petersburg, Russia. They were for ribbon embroidery. One was a few months ago (read about it here), and last week's live skype demonstration was promoting a new product I am creating with Russian company Rukodelie DeLux. I will tell you more about this product soon, but basically it is a series of floral paintings I have created and are printed on highest quality German cotton fabric, ready for silk ribbon or any other type of embroidery. I'll show you a sample of the design which I taught, followed by a completed embroidery of my design, and lastly, a photo one of the participant's embroideries, so you can see how successful skype learning for demonstrations can be.
At the end of this post, I offer 5 reasons why skype is a great tool for demonstrations 🙂
Here is a completed embroidery by one of the participants of this skype demonstration, Tatyana Samotoshina and her comments about it on facebook:
Tatyana is part of my Masterclass+ facebook group, which is available to any students I have taught, in any medium, for extra support and contact with me, and to share their work, and get advice even after the course- all free! Here is what she showed in the group:
Here is Tatyana's post on my facebook wall
I will be sharing more information about this new product for ribbon embroidery panels in a few weeks, so come back soon!! Or contact me for more details today.
5 reasons of why you should participate in a skype demonstration?
1) Firstly, I travel teach ( which means I don't teach from my own studio or premises) around Australia (see my latest course I taught) and internationally, but I might not be travelling to your area when you need me to. So a skype demonstration about what I do, is ideal.
2) If you have ever wanted to work with me, but you're not sure of what I do, and you are interested in presenting a skype demonstration of porcelain painting, art design, embroidery or other courses I teach (click here to see what courses I teach) to students at your studio, painting association or guild, convention, education group, it is an easy and effective method for communication...contact me here.
3) Skype demonstrations are a great way to see what I do at an affordable price, and experience my style of art education before you book me for in-person courses. An online demo is exactly like any regular in-person demonstration, where I will share the highlights of one of my courses, or a particular painting or embroidery technique or subject.
4) Skype is a free global community that enables me to talk to you, unlike watching a youtube video- there is interaction! So I can share skills and inspiration around specific teaching needs.
5) Skype demonstrations are from 1 to 3 hours depending on the topic presented, so this time flexibility means that you can participate (longer demo) or just watch (usually the short 1 hour demo).
- If you want to see Ingrid present live demonstrations of porcelain painting in Sydney, click here
- What are your concerns about participating in a skype demonstration? Let me know in the comments below. Is it something you think you'd be interested in?